November 12, 2008

Second guessing

I'm now to the point with the body where I'm about to do some things that can't be easily fixed if I screw up. As nature intended I started to second guess myself as well. I started to do some research and came across a thread on a Les Paul forum where the size of the body was discussed. In this thread it mentioned that the picture of the body on the Stew Mac plans is actually too big. Another person posted a range of measurements taken off several different Les Pauls. The body I have made was a few millimeters too big in almost every aspect.

I just spend an hour using a disk sander and an oscillating spindle sander to put the body within spec. I also took the opportunity to square up where the body and the neck come together.

I love the Stew Mac plans but the pic isn't really accurate. I searched for measurements to determine the width of the body but they weren't listed. The plan does say that some things may not be to scale but the ommission of the body width in various places is glaring. Now that I've sanded the body where it's supposed to be I find it's much closer to the Catto plan than the Stew Mac plan. Oh well, live and learn.

I'm really excited to have this out of the way because now I can route the binding channel and route for the neck angle.

No comments: