February 28, 2009

More Pics

This is as far as I want to go on the top carve until the binding is in place. I have been comparing it to my buddy Jack's Gibson Les Paul R8 and it's as close as I can get it. I still have some work to do on the recurve and final sanding but that, as stated above, will wait until I've glued the binding on.

Just for kicks I put my the fingerboard I ruined on top just to see how things look. There is also a pic of my new board. Let me know how I did.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

3 comments:

Frank said...

I've been foloowing your progress in this LP for a while now, and it's looking pretty good.

One question I have, though... the binding inside the horn is taller than on the outside, because the binding channel does not follow the upper curve of the guitar top (as seen on the last pic on this page). My question is, how did you fix that with the binding? Did you make the binding taller here?

Rose said...

Frank,

I had to make a call about the binding. It's much easier to route if you leave it thicker in the horn. Many Les Pauls from the Seventies onward had the taller binding in the horn. The '59's are as you stated. My next Les Paul build will have a straight up '59 spec binding.

Frank said...

Rose, check out this link http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/38166-ex-nihilos-2nd-lp-build.html#post681053

This guy explains how he makes the binding channel follow the contour of the top carving. Pretty cool stuff.

I'm thinking of making my own LP, so I've been reading up a bunch of guitar building blogs (yours is one of the best looking guitars I've seen, by the way). The only downside is that, since I live in Central America, if I want to have a maple top, I'm going to have to order it online, and maple is not cheap :D

Can't wait to see your guitar finished.